Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Grand Prairie, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be replaced. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Bon Air Service Company can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Bon Air Service Company in Grand Prairie a call to get started. Contact our team at 972-332-1028 or book an appointment with us online.