Spring is in the air here in Grand Prairie and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Bon Air Service Company team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing sabbatical on social media, but try to wait until after you are back to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to save some energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Bon Air Service Company in Grand Prairie a call at 972-332-1028.