Anyone who’s ever had to wait for an order to arrive understands it can be an aggravating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a crucial piece of HVAC equipment such as a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, some people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to show up. If you’re considering upgrading your current system with something like furnace installation in Grand Prairie, it may be a good idea to order now.
These shortages are a result of multiple problems within the supply chain. We’ll explain how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to minimize the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Popular HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Normally this is better for homeowners, as this means more convenient heating and cooling. But recent problems in the supply chain impacts how quickly these products can be produced and shipped. There are a few reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, such as:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As people continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and additional safety precautions have gradually contributed to the backlog. A couple extra days every now and then adds up over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: Global supply chains are designed for optimal efficiency and may take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials is affected. While companies seek alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs have made steady, if slow progress.
- Higher Costs of Raw Materials: Metals such as steel and copper are vital for modern HVAC equipment. Valuable materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are especially scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries wind back up, they’re also experiencing a shortage of workers compared to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also require time to train to ensure they provide reliable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these issues have slowed the gears of the HVAC industry. As equipment takes longer to arrive, people could have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Thankfully, you still have options for minimizing delays.
4 Ways to Reduce the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively searching for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being left without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are things you can do to minimize how the HVAC product shortage impacts you.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance: Services including preventive air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make for your HVAC system. Components stay in better shape, which means more efficient performance and a lower risk of problems.
- Look for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown could leave you stuck waiting on a replacement. Listen for loud sounds and keep an eye on your energy bill for signs your HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to install a new furnace or air conditioner, it may be a good idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with current supply chain issues, you’ll be more likely to receive your new equipment by the time you actually want it.
- Consider alternative equipment: If a current make or model is struggling with a shortage, researching alternatives may open up additional options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more options for high-efficiency HVAC systems than before.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC professionals at Bon Air Service Company want to help lower your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re thinking about new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get a head start. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 972-332-1028.