Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you experience a taste of uneasiness with an air conditioner failure. It can happen at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly realize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm bound in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be time for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s fault; the settings can be running appropriately, but it still says that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that requires a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners break down, especially taking into consideration the weather in Grand Prairie. Here are some things that you can search for before you call Bon Air Service Company if you think your air conditioner has broken down:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your outdoor air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and find that the fan isn’t functioning properly, it means that the heat transfer isn’t happening, causing the warm air to stay in your home. This malfunction can also cause overheating of the compressor and other likely internal damage to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most familiar issues that Bon Air Service Company sees. These dirty filters in your air conditioner decrease appropriate airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really problematic when allergy season hits. Dirty air filters can also decrease the efficiency in your home and boost your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an obstruction or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can set off your air conditioner to lose efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t covered by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Correct air flow could be also slowed down from exterior obstructions close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is altered, it can influence it’s cooling capabilities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned regularly to decrease the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t running, here are a list of questions and steps that you should check and answer to get your system up and working again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t turn on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature set below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system function, call Bon Air Service Company at 972-332-1028.
Don’t let an air conditioner malfunction or replacement keep you restless at night. If you follow these steps and keep your system under routine maintenance, you should have you air conditioner running again in no time. Our team at Bon Air Service Company in Grand Prairie is always here to help – give us a call at 972-332-1028.